Friday, February 26, 2010


It's been awhile since my last entry, almost a month, so it is time to catch up on what has been happening these past few weeks. I have been working on a number of paintings and one in particular is of interest because it is the result of not being able to resolve another one I had been working on. If you remember, the still life with the blue check tablecloth was a painting I was quite obsessed with, I wanted to get the cloth right. The checks involved a lot of perspective and value changes inorder to get it to read correctly. Well after painting it, repainting it, and painting it again, making changes in color or folds in material, I came across a quote from a poet, at a meeting I was attending that stated, simply, during the process of writing a poem, the poet has to be just smart enough to know what the poem wants inorder to reach it's completion. This line of thinkings can also apply to painting, so after much stressing about that god forsaken cloth, it struck me that I wasn't listening to what the painting was telling me. The above painting is what resulted from the blue checkered still life that I suffered over for weeks, it went down on the canvas in a matter of hours, and even though there are a few details to work out, the painting seems to have almost painted itself.

No comments:

Post a Comment