Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Manana Island from Fish Beach


One of my newest paintings, done in August for my Exhibit at the Camden Library in September and then at The John Rohman Gallery at Eastern Maine Community College in November and December. Since I take photos and work from them in my studio, I am able to get vantage points that one would not usually get from viewing with the naked eye. In this painting, I zoomed way in on the Island, but was still able to include rocks from the jetty on Fish Beach. Since this is not plein air, I changed the sky color and lighting on the rocks many times until I was able to get the shadows and light areas to contrast the way I wanted them to. After changing the values on the rocks a number of times, I finally mixed a glaze of French Ultramarine with some Cad Orange and painted the rocks again to get the value I was looking for.
Manana Island from Fish Beach - Oil on Canvas

No comments:

Post a Comment